Of course, this question cannot be answered in a general way. Nevertheless, there are central orientation points by which the expenses for a website project with an agency can be estimated quite well in advance. At the base, the cost is determined by the type of website you are targeting. If you only need a blog, you will usually need to calculate relatively little capital for it. A typical business website is in the middle of the range in terms of cost. It is followed by the e-commerce website and the membership site. At the top of the cost range is the web app. This gradation is primarily a result of the complexity involved in each project, as well as the associated expenditures in money, time, and expertise. The more of these resources you own or your company supplies itself, the cheaper it is to implement a website. The principle of self-supply applies here. Of course, it is not necessary to hire an agency for the programming of your new website, if you have the necessary know-how in-house and if you are able to allocate time for such a project. However, you may need support with hosting, strategically correct online marketing or the integration of third-party systems. A good agency will give you exactly the support you need to generate maximum success with your website. You now already have a general overview of what a website costs with an agency. Which factors in detail determine how much you have to pay, which ongoing costs you should expect and other important facts on the subject, you can read in the following.
Which system should you use for website creation?
The system on which your new website is based can be a major cost factor. Basically, you have two options:
Basically, thewebsite construction kit is also a CMS, but with greatly simplified functionality. Here, no programming knowledge is required even for the web design and customers get everything ready to use, from hosting to additional modules for e-commerce, online marketing, etc.
With the help of such a system, companies can set up their own websitecompletely independently and quickly.
On the whole, however, a construction kit is not very flexible, which is why agencies do not usually use it. Such software is designed for end users.
The ease of use has a major disadvantage: building kits almost exclusively allow the use of design features and function modules that the provider himself provides. Unique selling points or exceptional user experiences are thus hardly achievable - and the lack of strategic support when going it alone with a construction kit can also mean deficits.
In addition, such systems practically always cause running costs, which are not insignificant in the case of an extended range of functions - which is generally required.
Aclassic system, such as WordPress, on the other hand, is often open-source and thus available for free.
Whereas for the hosting and possibly required paid plugins must be paid of course.
The editing of the design by professionals, the implementation of required SEO features or the connection to third-party software usually only cause one-time costs.
Similar to the construction kit, the CMS offers many simplified functions. Thus, website operators can also add or edit content, perform SEO and other website optimization without any programming knowledge.
The creation of a complete website, on the other hand, is only possible with specific expertise.
However, since a CMS offers many simplifications even for experienced web designers and programmers - especially in the form of plugins that provide centrally important features preconfigured - the website implementation is usually very cost-efficient.
Professionals have alot of freedom with relatively little work, which is why the CMS is most widely used by agencies as a website basis.
Even individual solutions can be based on such a system - and usually are, due to the clear efficiency advantages. Many CMS make it possible to add individual designs, very special web applications and similar features with the necessary know-how. Companies in highly competitive markets often opt for this option, which is of course quite cost-intensive.
A completely individually programmed website - both in the frontend and the backend - is the top class. Only very few companies can afford such a construct - and in most cases they don't even have to. The best successes on the market can usually already be achieved with a CMS individual solution.
Own web designer, freelancer or internet agency:
Wer ist der passende Dienstleister?
Very few companies have a web designer in-house. Hiring such a professional for a website project usually does not pay off. The first and most cost-effective alternative to an in-house web designer is to work with a freelancer. Often, however, you will then not only need a designer for the design of the website interfaces, but also a programmer for the creation of important functionalities and an online marketing expert who will ensure that your website really works for you as well as successfully in the long term. In such a context, you should definitely have experience in project management and/or know yourself how usability, user experience, SEO, etc. work or have appropriate professionals on your team. Many freelancers program strictly according to customer specifications - but you as the client have to contribute the strategy yourself. You should always plan for a low four-digit amount. If you want comprehensive advice, an agency is the better choice. There, web designers, programmers and online marketers work hand-in-hand on your web project. Your requirements will be precisely recorded, you will be shown what is possible as well as necessary and finally the professionals will coordinate the individual work steps in such a way that you will achieve the most efficient and appropriate result. And what does a professional homepage that you commission from an agency cost? The investment can easily rise into the five-digit range, in the case of a web app even into the six-digit range. You can read in detail about the costs in the following. But first, let's take a brief look at choosing the right provider.
How do I choose the right provider to build my website?
Once you have decided between one or more freelancers and an agency as a partner for your website project, you need to find the right provider(s). This is undoubtedly anything but easy. Because online as well as regionally, there is only a teeming number of internet agencies and corresponding freelancers. Who really brings the ideal expertise to make your website a success and also fits with your company values and attitude, can often only be safely highlighted in direct communication. Feel free to ask the provider themselves and also their clients, which you can find out through references, about skills, focus, project process and anything else that interests you. Optimally, you will eventually have a good overview of your alternatives and thus filter out the best partner practically automatically. For more in-depth information on choosing a provider, we recommend our article "Have a website created by a professional - what you need to know!“
Have website created:
Diese Faktoren beeinflussen die Kosten
Now we come to the aspects that significantly influence the cost of creating a website. In special contexts, other expenses may well be added. However, you almost always have to consider the following points.
First of all, it strongly depends on your requirements how expensive your website will really be. We have already given you a basic orientation based on the ranking from blog to web app at the very beginning of this post. In between, however, there is additionally a lot of room or some must-have necessity for specific website goals that can mean higher prices.
It's true that the more complex the website needs to be, the more expensive it will be . In order to keep the expense as low as possible, but still be able to achieve maximum success, you should take a very close look at answering the following question:
- What benefits does the website need to have for my business and users?
- What is really needed to achieve these goals?
The corporate design is extremely important for the recognition value of your company. The recognition must be given alone so that your Internet presence is also really associated with your company. In addition, a correspondingly uniform company presentation favors that a brand is created and customers accept it more strongly. This in turn creates considerably higher chances of repeat sales and even identification with your products, visions, values, etc. If a corporate design still has to be created for the website, this naturally means additional costs.
Depending on the website, different security standards must be considered. Commercial websites must generally be sufficiently encrypted. HTTPS security with a corresponding SSL certificate is mandatory for the sole reason that browsers warn visitors about web pages that are not protected in this way. This would of course cast a bad light on your business. For an online shop, the requirements go a bit further. Here, special attention must be paid to secure payment methods and DSGVO-compliant data protection.
Before a CMS is available, it must first be installed on a web space. This is usually done largely automatically and does not incur any additional costs. However, setting up the system and adapting it to your requirements as an end user is not done without assistance.
A good agency also takes care of the best usability in the backend, which means at the base to make especially important features quickly accessible. Here, individual efforts have to be calculated.
Hosting providers are a dime a dozen and the prices vary widely. If your own web servers are available, the website can be hosted particularly inexpensively. However, such conditions only exist in the rarest cases. The optimal alternative are the servers of your website agency. Here you usually get exactly the services you really need and do not pay for various package features that are actually useless for you - as is often the case with external hosters.
That all available contact data should be placed prominently on your website has long been beyond question. Today, (potential) customers also increasingly expect direct communication options. If this is the case with your target group, you should have corresponding features integrated, such as a live chat, a chat bot, a video chat, etc.. The choice of communication channels depends on the preferences of your typical visitors - or on your claim to be unique compared to your competitors.
Offering value-added content is one of the most important factors for website success today. Correspondingly outstanding multimedia content with interaction potential must be created on the one hand. On the other hand, it is also necessary to create the optimal environments or places for them. Both are significant cost points.
Since (potential) customers today usually primarily look for solutions on the web when they become aware of a problem or a desire and Google is often the first port of call, a new website should immediately bring ideal conditions for a good findability in its ranking.
SEO causes additional costs, but is also highly relevant economically.
It is even very often absolutely sensible to connect your own website with other systems. For example, the support can offer particularly targeted support for inquiries via a chat integrated on the website if a CRM has been integrated. Or you connect a marketing automation to convert leads into customers without much effort, but with maximum benefit.
Homepage costs monthly:
Welche fortlaufenden Kosten bestehen zur Erhaltung der Website?
In addition to one-time expenses for setting up the CMS, the web design, the integration of third-party applications, etc., a website is virtually always associated with ongoing costs.
- Domain costs: The domain is - to put it simply - the address of your website. Domains are usually rented.
- Hosting costs: The servers on which your website is hosted also incur a rental fee due to the energy required for their operation and regular maintenance requirements, among other things.
- Online marketing: It is only through online marketing that a website can reach its full potential. Case in point: If you want to improve your website ranking and thus convince more customers, you have to do specific SEO. In fact, your website will probably sink in the vastness of the web without the appropriate optimizations. Since online marketing in general is an ongoing process, there are always costs involved.
- Maintenance and support: Your website must be kept technically up to date in order to function and be secure in the long term. To keep the risk low, it is a good idea to rely on professional support.
- SSL certificates: An SSL certificate is often included in the hosting. However, especially when dealing with sensitive data and processes, ongoing paid SSL certificates or TLS certificates are extremely useful. In addition to typical domain-validating certificates, which are often available free of charge, there are also certificates that allow for organizational identification.
Development of a website with a digital agency
Die grundlegenden Arbeitsschritte
Finally, we have summarized the typical process of a website project (simplified). Knowing this is important in order to be able to estimate the standard scope and the associated effort in terms of time and (wo)manpower.
- Strategic planning: In order to make a website successful and to be able to work efficiently towards this goal, it must be clear which goals it should pursue and which target group it should address in which way.
- Functions: The next step is to precisely identify the features that will be used to implement the strategy. Last but not least, you need to identify the features and third-party applications that can help make your website and all the important processes around it as efficient as possible.
- Setting up wireframes and web design: All features and the basic layout and design are put into wireframes. The visual design and functionality in particular need to be checked in the first instance. The web design starts directly afterwards.
- Programming of the website: Now it's time for the final programming, whereby the effort depends strongly on the basic system - CMS, modular system or individual solution - and the individual feature or connection requirements.
- Testing and bug-fixing phase: Finally, an extensive testing phase takes place to check whether everything works as desired.<li>Going live: When your website finally goes live, it ideally fulfills its goals largely on its own.
- Livegang: When your website finally goes live, it ideally fulfills its goals largely on its own.</li>
Conclusion: This is how much it costs to have a homepage created
So what does a website cost? Even at the end of this article, we unfortunately can't give you an all-inclusive amount. In summary, however, it can be stated that it depends fundamentally on which strategic and functional requirements your pages must meet, which system basis you choose and which external partners you bring in or whether you can provide your own services or not.
We are happy to support you in making your online presence competitive and future-oriented:
- How does your website compare to your strongest competitors? We would be happy to conduct a free TYPO3 upgrade check for you and define a success-oriented target alignment together with you.
- In this context, we will advise you with our extensive know-how on the topics of user experience and user guidance on your website and help you to deliver an optimal experience to your customers.
- Our experienced web developers will be happy to implement your individual wishes - be it the development of extensions, responsive websites, apps orinterface connections.
- Need a new website? No problem. Together we will find the right content management system for you and start from scratch.
- Our support team is always available for technical and editorial support as well as regular training.
For a successful and comprehensive online strategy, we are also happy to advise you on the following topics:
Oliver Parrizas will be happy to answer any questions you may have on the subject. +49-800-911-91-91